Wafer Resizing & Coring
Silicon Wafer Coring (Resizing)A Laserod speciality is coring (resizing), dicing and scribing of silicon wafers, substrates, and laser machining silicon devices such as sensors, detectors, and solar cells
Laserod’s Wafer Processing Services Include:
Standard Wafer Coring Services:
- Typically silicon, other materials are acceptable.
- Resizing, coring, downsizing from 300mm max diameter to any smaller size and any wafer thickness up to 2mm.
- Cut flats or notches
- Tolerance on notches or flats is +/- 0.025mm
- Gringing, typically a rounded edge or bevel
- Video registration through the laser focusing lens, giving a magnified view of the worksite. Laserod can register/align to circuitry, fiducial marks or on streets and avenues such as for dicing (see below).
Other Silicon Wafer Services include:
- Laser marking an ID on laser resized wafers
- Thinning by grinding/polishing
- Hole drilling
- Laser dicing or singulating
- Topside or bottom side laser cutting, dicing, singulating or scribing
- Anti-static mats
- Wrist straps for ESD prevention
- ESD dicing film
Silicon Wafer Coring
Large hole laser trepanned in silicon wafer.
Micromachining Drilled Holes
Profile of Laser Trepanned Hole Drilled in Silicon
Trepanned Silicon Hole Drilling and Laser Scribing
Laser Cutting a Silicon Edge at an Angle
Guidelines for Silicon Processing by Q-switched YAG Laser
These first three pertain to holes, cuts or scribes:
- Max Depth: 2 mm
- Min Depth: none
- Typical Depth of Penetration: 0.5mm
- Max Wafer Size: 300mm
These next six pertain to drilling holes only:
- Max Dia of Trepanned Hole: none
- Min Dia of Trepanned Hole: 50 microns
- Max Dia of Percussion Hole: 50 microns (up to 25 mil thickness Si)
- Min Dia of Percussion Hole: 15 microns
- Taper of Trepanned Hole: (ask us)
- Taper of Percussion Hole: (ask us)
The next two pertain to cutting or scribing.
- Kerf Loss: Width of cut for 0.5 mm thick Si (full penetration cut) is 50 microns at top and 25 microns at bottom of cut.
- Edge taper is best evaluated on samples we create for you.