Wafer Resizing & Coring
Silicon Wafer Coring (Resizing)A Laserod speciality is coring (resizing), dicing and scribing of silicon wafers, substrates, and laser machining silicon devices such as sensors, detectors, and solar cells
Laserod laser cores or resizes silicon wafers by downsizing large semiconductor wafers to smaller ones. Laserod also laser machines silicon sensors, solar cells, MEMS and other photovoltaic devices as shown below. We also do silicon wafer dicing by laser scribing, which is a two step scribe and break process to convert a wafer into dice, aka “chips”. For information on laser hole drilling in silicon – go HERE. Our standard kerf loss in coring, dicing or cutting is 30 microns. 10um is available on special order.
Laserod’s Wafer Processing Services Include:
Standard Wafer Coring Services:
- Typically silicon, other materials are acceptable.
- Resizing, coring, downsizing from 300mm max diameter to any smaller size and any wafer thickness up to 2mm.
- Cut flats or notches
- Tolerance on notches or flats is +/- 0.025mm
- Gringing, typically a rounded edge or bevel
- Video registration through the laser focusing lens, giving a magnified view of the worksite. Laserod can register/align to circuitry, fiducial marks or on streets and avenues such as for dicing (see below).
Other Silicon Wafer Services include:
- Laser marking an ID on laser resized wafers
- Thinning by grinding/polishing
- Hole drilling
- Laser dicing or singulating
- Topside or bottom side laser cutting, dicing, singulating or scribing
- Anti-static mats
- Wrist straps for ESD prevention
- ESD dicing film
Silicon Wafer Coring (Resizing) by Laser Cutting A commonly performed job is resizing 12″ to 8″ as shown here. Other common downsizings include: 8″ to 6″; 6″ to 4″; 12″, 8″, 6″ or 4″ down to multiple 2″ wafers. Practically any kind of downsizing (coring) by laser cutting is possible. If you are interested in buying a laser coring machine, go HERE (and scroll down to third picture, LPS-300 System)
Silicon Wafer Coring
Array of Laser Drilled Percussion Holes in a Silicon Substrate Circular cuts in silicon wafers. 3mm (.125″) dia. Thickness is 175mm (.007″).
Large hole laser trepanned in silicon wafer.
Silicon Wafer Coring (Resizing) by Laser Cutting in 625um thickness Si, Overall 12mm dia, Small hole dia 0.125mm (125um)
Micromachining Drilled Holes
Profile of Laser Trepanned Hole Drilled in Silicon
0.700mm dia. Laser entrance side, cleaned mechanically. Thickness is 0.5mm (.020″). Get More Info… Get More on Laser Hole Drilling
Trepanned Silicon Hole Drilling and Laser Scribing
0.125mm (.005″) dia. holes Debris is from a Styrofoam cup used to gently but effectively clean off laser debris – a nice mechanical cleaning trick. Thickness 0.5mm. Note the laser scribes at lower left – for Silicon Wafer Dicing
Laser Cutting a Silicon Edge at an Angle
Fancy laser cutting at a 45 degree angle.
Guidelines for Silicon Processing by Q-switched YAG Laser
These first three pertain to holes, cuts or scribes:
- Max Depth: 2 mm
- Min Depth: none
- Typical Depth of Penetration: 0.5mm
- Max Wafer Size: 300mm
These next six pertain to drilling holes only:
- Max Dia of Trepanned Hole: none
- Min Dia of Trepanned Hole: 50 microns
- Max Dia of Percussion Hole: 50 microns (up to 25 mil thickness Si)
- Min Dia of Percussion Hole: 15 microns
- Taper of Trepanned Hole: (ask us)
- Taper of Percussion Hole: (ask us)
The next two pertain to cutting or scribing.
- Kerf Loss: Width of cut for 0.5 mm thick Si (full penetration cut) is 50 microns at top and 25 microns at bottom of cut.
- Edge taper is best evaluated on samples we create for you.